Thursday, April 29, 2010

Self-portrait study 2


Burnt sienna toned ground, then a palette of burnt sienna, lead white, ultramarine blue, yellow ochre, and burnt umber. I really liked this palette (though it was strange to have burnt sienna as one's only "red"), and only barely began to discover all the different subtle combinations that can be created. Very happy with how this turned out. This was about 2 hours, alla prima with a mirror.

I have to figure out a better setup, though... I can't seem to manage a way, yet, to have the spotlight (and it's awfully hot under that thing; artists' models, I empathize!) on my face without it being either in my eyes or too bright on my canvas, or both.

Also, I'm a bit bummed that alla prima self-portraits are pretty much limited to the straight-on view. Unless I'm majorly misunderstanding something or there are some tricks using multiple mirrors, there's no way to paint one's own profile (for example) alla prima...no?

-----



In India. Traditional wooden block-print stamps for textiles.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

16 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Jala, I like both self-portraits, but this one is really penetrating.

Anonymous said...

it's looking good Jala: lovely handling of cools and warms. i have tried side ways resulting in a three-quarter view of the face.

Don Gray said...

You're getting some really interesting results with these limited palettes, Jala. Good discipline, huh?

Caroline Simmill said...

Very soulful painting. It is interesting to read about the colours you are using too.

Patrice said...

Great portrait. It really shows off your draftsmanship. And as ever, one can never have too many shot of the first cat pretzel.

Sonya Johnson said...

These are really compelling, Jala! I love the painterly effect you've got going on. I've yet to try a limited palette with oils, but I keep hearing (and seeing) how liberating it is :).

Astrid Volquardsen said...

Hi Jala,
I'm really impressed. You're not only a sky hunter, but a "face searcher" as well.

suzanneberry said...

Jala, this one is STUNNING!! I love the idea of a limited palate! This one is just amazing. I really loved the first one, they are both so incredible inspiring! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Astrids' comment- can hardly improve on it.
This portrait is lush and needed only the amount of colors you used. And not one more.
Limited palettes are great for keeping values and temps right. It may require some creative thinking but it keeps the focus on the brushwork.

Rumi looks like he's been viewed with a limited palette too: some Naples Yellow, Burnt Umber and Kitty White.

I would love to play around with those wood blocks and make a series of bed pillows and sheets.

Jala Pfaff said...

Thank you, everyone. I'm very happy with it too, I think it somehow caught something that the first one didn't. (But now the pressure's really on...)
Bonnie - Thanks for reminding me--they do use them for that too. I added that to the post.

Anonymous said...

your self portrait is amazing.

I would kill to have that box of blocks! what beautiful designs.

Gwen Bell said...

Really great job on the SPs! I like both of them and each are so beautiful in a separate way and have completely different emotions coming though. Very cool!

Fábio Cembranelli said...

Hi Jala, what a wonderful self portrait, love it, strong and dramatic. Great work !

Jala Pfaff said...

Carol - Thank you. That box could've been yours for about ten dollars.

Gwen - Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing another as soon as I'm done with the semester teaching and grading exams.

Obrigado, Fabio. Voce tem feito um autoretrato alguma vez?

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Wonderful self portrait again! I am not keen on them, however you are making me interested in trying them one out...

I love that you work both in abstracted and realism styles, do you find the going back and forth helpful?

TSL said...

Love this~~ love it