Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rothko style, Golden kisses, and a small preachy section



Sold.

Boy, whoever photographed all those Rothkos sure had their work cut out for them.

I love Rothko's abstracts and wanted to explore what it's like to try to do something similar. I'll definitely do more of this type. This had two layers of transparent and/or semi-transparent oil paint. The top rectangle is an extremely dark blue-green, almost black, and the lower rectangle is a (slightly less dark) magenta. The painting is very dark and very luminous and there are subtle variations throughout that are wonderfully interesting in person but probably not possible to see on screen.





What's better than a Golden kiss? Two Golden kisses! The youngster on the left is Mojito, age 3, and on the right is Jazz, age 12 1/2. They are both rescued Goldens. I trained Jazz to be a therapy dog, because his nature has always been just that, calm and therapeutic, so he and I used to go as volunteers to the hospital and let him visit people in the waiting rooms who needed some canine love, warm caramel eyes, and calming energy.


They and all of our animals would like to get onto a soapbox for just a moment, and ask you to "please always consider adopting an already homeless animal, either from an animal shelter or a rescue organization, rather than purchasing a bred-to-order one. Especially, please don't buy a pet store one, thereby contributing to the awfulness of puppy mills and/or backyard breeders). Remember that every pet that is purchased (rather than adopted) means one more homeless pet that will be euthanized. Spay and neuter, and support your local animal shelter. Thank you!"


That's what they wanted to say for now. I don't intend to do too much preaching on my blog here, but this is so important to me that I feel I must.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

7 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

The Rothko look alike is very impressive Jala and very calming at the same time. I totally agree about getting rescue dogs and cats rather than buying from breeders. My daughter works for the RSPCA - so many terrific animals are waiting for loving homes.

Anonymous said...

Nice lecture from Mojito and Jazz. Tell them thanks! And a gorgeous painting from you. Your use of the word luminous, and the description of the transluscent paint layers allows me to see more than what the screen allows. I can just imagine it glowing there on the wall.

Karen Bruson said...

Jala, I love abstract, myself. Nice job.

SamArtDog said...

Nice one of you and the boys. Please understand this, people, while Jazz and Mo preach, Jala accosts us with so-cute-you-could-eat-em adoptees from the local shelter. They're tag-teaming us.

Help, people. At least get a hamster. Then get your hamster a dog.

The red slays me.

r garriott said...

That's really great, Jala, I'm amazed at all the cool things you do! Training therapy dogs, wow.

I hope that rescuing kittens born to a wildcat mother in a greenhouse qualifies, too...

Anonymous said...

Jala, this is a really strong piece. I am not that familiar with Rothko's work, but love this.

We have two cars from the Animal Shelter in KW, Florida. One was older when we adopted her, the other a kitten who had been abandoned. They have been with us in hotel rooms when we used to evacuate from hurricanes (as well as two feral 'street cats' we used to feed and would not leave behind in the storms).... and came over with us on the long plane journey from the USA to England last year.... on our big move home.

I agree with you....It is so important to get the message out about adopting shelter animals.
Maggie

L.Holm said...

Beautiful painting, Jala. My hat's off to you for being able to photograph it with those deep, lustrous layers.

Yea for your goldens, and for adoption! What big sweeties. I agree w/R. Am so impressed w/all of the talents you have.
My 2 dogs and cat are rescues. Life would not be the same without their love.