Sunday, November 23, 2008

Parchment


I'm fascinated by abstract expression, minimalism, or whatever else one might one to call it--artists like Rothko, Diebenkorn, Albers, Frankenthaler, Barnett Newman, Brice Marden....  And Agnes Martin. Years ago, I stumbled across a small exhibition of her work while in Santa Fe, and, funny, it didn't do anything for me at the time.  Isn't it interesting how much our art taste can change? And then other stuff, you see it once and absolutely resonate with it, and that fierce love for it never wavers. 

I created this piece, in graphite and pastel, after looking at and admiring a whole lot of Agnes Martin's work, unfortunately only images in books and online, not live. I'm enamored of the subtlety of her work.



More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

No comments: