Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Small copper pot with pins


This is a miniature pot that is from India, I believe. I have painted it twice before. I picked it up to consider using it as a subject last night, then thought I might like to use it on its side, and when I turned it, some pins slid out (who knows why they were stored there). I thought that was just perfect, and didn't move a single pin, just righted the little copper vessel and painted.

You know how in every painting, there's a point where you think there's no way the painting is going to work...well, this time it was more like, throughout the first 90% of the painting time, I was pretty sure it wasn't going to work at all. I then got truly frustrated and figured what the heck, it's not working anyway, and kind of lightly but somewhat wildly swiped at the pins and top edges of the vessel, and boom!, all of a sudden it was clear that the whole thing would pull together. Sometimes it pays to get so frustrated that you start doing radical things, like scraping part of it, or swiping at part of it, or otherwise mutilating it. Good things may be born of this frustration/desperation.


More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

10 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

Ha, yes! Been there, done that. Love your painting, love your blog, linked to you just now!!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Jala, Beautiful painting - the warm colored pot and the cool colored pins. I like the randomness (is that a word?) of the way the pins lay.

brian eppley said...

Where to start? First off what a great painting! Second, with your description of the happenstance occurences leading up to this the symbolism is incredibly rich. The old copper vessel loaded with character possibly from India? Some pins fall out and just happen to form a fantastic composition. Much like "throwing the bones" or maybe "reading the tea leaves" you go for it. Then the doubt sets in.You continue on with reckless abandon, until you finally decide THIS IS IT. Sorry for rambling but your post has stirred the creative juices. By the way those couple of dark brushmarks in the background are very well placed.

Jala Pfaff said...

Diane - Great, and thanks!

Janelle - Thank you! and yes, I think that is a word. In any case, it's one I use too. :)

Brian E - Okay, you have just TOTALLY cracked me up. I am laughing out loud right now.

jean neely said...

Jala, I love this. I love the simple yet beautiful copper pot and the even simpler pins.
The experience you described in painting this, happens to me all the time, and even more since I'm attempting daily painting. When I give up and start caring less, it feels as if "I" just got out of the way and let the painting happen.

Karen said...

I love the metal, and I love the reflections! So true...it's amazing how little is needed sometimes to 'finish' something...as you said, just a swipe of paint, and magically something appears!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Love the story. My first glance was , wow wonderful handling of the edges. I think a little frustration is good.

Edward Burton said...

Wonderful little painting, Jala, you certainly did do a beautiful job!

Jala Pfaff said...

Jean, Karen, Dori, Edward - Thank you! It's true, I think, that when our subconscious makes itself known, things turn out better.

Laurel Daniel said...

I'm so glad you kept going!