Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pastel paintings en famille


There's some glare and perspective distortion and whatnot, but you get the idea. Here's the framed-up pastels hanging and ready for the weekend (Open Studios). I realized all my frames were black and the same size (11" x 14"), but not all were the same kind of frame. Oh well. I still think they look pretty great.

It makes me greedy--wishing I could see all my pastels framed, not just a small percentage.

Art is weird, though, no? in the sense that here I've chosen what I think are some of my best works, that I love, and now I have to hope they go out the door, never to return--in order to be able to afford frames for the next round.




And now here's a random assortment of recent pastels, just to give an idea of how they look in a group:














-----
 Fennec contemplates whether it's worth the effort to get fully back onto the couch...


Apparently not.
-----

In India, at the government weavers' center.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

14 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

They look great all framed up, and it's neat to see the rest of them all in a grouping like that!

Good luck with the Open Studios weekends - I wish I could come up, but I won't be able to make it up...too much other stuff going on (thank you for the invite, tho!).

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Good luck with Open Studios....the pastels in there frames look wonderful!

JANE MINTER said...

they look fantastic as a collection jala................................
GOODLUCK !

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you for the virtual exhibition :o) I've bookmarked the page so that I can keep returning. The paintings look stunning and I think you will be saying good bye to a lot of them.

Laurel Daniel said...

Wow - these are so cool hanging altogether. And I absolutely love the uniform but irregular look of the framing. Some smart person would come and buy them all - and then hang them just like that. Good luck with the show!

ELFI said...

les voir tous ensemble..formidable et beau!!

Pam Holnback said...

Wow! These look so great! Have fun w. the open studio!

Caroline Simmill said...

You really have been very creative with these pastels Jala. When I see them on your blog page together I can see how many there are and also how different each one is too. I like the presentation in the frames. Have a lovely open studio and let us know how things went too. Beautiful works!

Diane Hoeptner said...

***gasp*** They look sooooo awesome!! The different frames look great too!! Oh good luck with sales, Jala!!

Sonya Johnson said...

Hmm...well, I left a comment about these a few days ago, but you didn't add it it? Well, at any rate, good luck with the open studios tour. These look great together.

Take care,

Sonya

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Jala, Your work looks so dramatic, and so stunning in a group! I love it! Hoping that you had lots of sales during open studios!

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I love seeing your abstracts in a cohesive grouping. They look fab!

I feel just like fennec today. I could fall asleep almost anywhere right now.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

they are beautiful all together like this!
I love the frames. Not all alike but very compatible. Nice.

loriann signori said...

oOOOOh those pastels look wonderful. wish i could have seen them.