Thursday, January 1, 2009

First painting of 2009


I just did this one yesterday evening, and came very close to signing it '08. (I'm sure it will happen at some point, likely repeatedly, for the next few months at least...)  The photo is a little glare-y. 

These were some kind of seed pods I found in the park yesterday. Not sure what kind of tree they're from (I don't think they could've come from the evergreen they were near), but they're beautiful things. When I'm out walking the dogs and picking up gorgeous little bits of nature to take back to the studio, I always figure that all those "normal" people out there (who are doing "normal" stuff, like pushing their kids on the swingset or riding their bikes) are thinking: There goes that crazy lady again who always walks looking with great concentration down at the grass, picking through the leaves and debris.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

3 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I share your appreciation of 'found' things in nature - my house has almost every horizontal surface filled with rocks, twigs, pods, seaglass, shells, etc. Let them think you're crazy. You live a very rich life! Beautiful painting - at first I thought it was an abstract!

Jala Pfaff said...

Thanks, Kelley! Yeah, it's funny, I have twigs, garlic peels, pinecones, leaves...all kinds of fun stuff sitting around, too. Eventually the leaves turn to dust and I have to sweep them away...but then I find more! Funny that you thought this painting was an abstract at first--a friend looked at it and said, "Oh, cool, you've painted chicken feet!"
??!!

loriann signori said...

Beautiful flowing movement in this painting Jala! Your color is exquisite as well.....those small highlights really make it sing.