Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cut golden beets


I don't like beets, but The Husband does. He bought these marvelous golden beets (which, while eminently paintable, still unfortunately taste like beets) and cut a bunch of them up to cook with. I had to steal a few.

Again trying out the Ray-Mar linen oil-primed panel (I had bought a couple of packs of the small ones). And again, I liked some aspects of it and disliked others. Maybe I'll come to a firm conclusion by the time I'm done with both packs. Or maybe not.


More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Jala, Nice rhythm here! I'm curious what it was that you liked/disliked about the panels?

Laurel Daniel said...

I LOVE beets, I'll eat yours! Love the arrangement and glorious complimentary colors!

Jala Pfaff said...

Karen - Thank you. About the panels: first off, strange as it might sound, and I don't know quite how to explain it, but there's a LOOK to a painting done on this linen that just seems so...I don't know, classical. Old Master sort of look. Without even trying. That's a nice thing. Then the other thing I really like is that the first layer goes on deliciously--not too draggy, not too slick. But now the bad part: additional layers applied on top of the first move the ones underneath and it all gets really tricky and slippery, where one mistake on a top layer INSTANTLY disrupts every other layer both underneath and next to it. It can get so frustrating!


Laurel - I don't think you'd enjoy these beet pieces now; they're shriveled, dehydrated little lumps in my still-life setup area. :)

Gesa said...

Hm... I don't have a clue what beets are :) but I love this painting - yes, a very nice rythm to it with the yellow and lighter blues of the background.