Thursday, July 5, 2012

Contour sketches





No, these are not new sketches, but old ones (a few years) from when I was doing blind contour sketching a lot. I have always loved how blind contour drawings end up feeling somehow much more alive than regular drawings, and how they often are capable of immediately capturing an essence that is lacking in regular drawings. When it works, it's some kind of magic that happens, an alchemy fueled by incompleteness and by the left brain temporarily going out to fly a kite.

I've been wishing for some art to post lately, and came across these in an old sketchbook. (Sorry the last one scanned in blurry.)

Unfortunately, it's been over a month now since I've done any art at all, and I am missing it. I hope to be able to get the art studio (aka other bedroom) minimally usable within the next couple of weeks. I'm itching to do some more oil + cold wax work.

-----


The fine, funny, fat, furry, foolish fellow Fennec amuses himself with a toy in the shower.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

3 comments:

elena nuez said...

me gustan mucho estos bocetos! Bravo Jala,

que tengas un feliz día,
elena

cohen labelle said...

Wonderful sense of line - beautiful line drawings!!!
I'm so happy that you are preparing to do some painting - maybe you could incorporate line drawings of your dog and cats into that.
All in good time. I know it's hellishly hot. I also enjoy your writing - you write extremely well!!! - so open, very brave!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

what a cool shower floor :D Your kitties are so so sweet!