Friday, November 19, 2010

Room service



Well, my shampoo spilled into my luggage and all over my clothes, some batteries were stolen from another bag sometime between luggage check-in in Denver and baggage claim in Hyderabad, and when I went to put on my brand-new mail-order excellent anti-pollution respirator mask, it was while we were hurriedly transferring from one vehicle to another, and that happy shiny mask was lost to the streets before it ever even met my face, perhaps even now residing in the belly of some poor itinerant bovine.

And we've had a couple of very rough days, working like crazy and without much sleep. Then we had to switch hotels this morning and this new one is...well... It's called Casa Luxurio, now not-so-fondly known by us as Casa Misfunctio, or sometimes Dysfunctio. We've occupied the hotel room only a few hours now, and these are the things that have not worked so far (mind you, we opted to pay extra and are in what is called the Luxury Room): the shower, the TV, the lights, the toilet, the a/c, the internet, and the mini fridge. At one point we had four guys standing around trying to figure out why the internet cable thingie in the wall wasn't working.

Maybe we should've been warned by the hotel's motto, which is Expect an Experience!

Fortunately, much-needed comic relief was provided by the room service menu. I couldn't believe it when The Husband handed it to me. It looks like every teacher's nightmare of a term paper. The thing is about twenty pages long, single-spaced, with a hundred thousand items listed on it. I asked for translations on some of the things, and The Husband said he had no idea, so he got on the phone with room service, and spent quite a long time, leisurely flipping pages and inquiring about many things. Then he couldn't decide what to get, and settled back on the bed again and called back to discuss some more possibilities. And then a third time.







-----

Sure am missing my animolecules. Here's some photos so you don't have to miss them.






More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

8 comments:

SamArtDog said...

So far, this expedition sounds awful. Hope anything works out soon. I'd say, "think positive", but that probably guarantees disappointment.
P.S. Do not drink the "loss angel".
P.P.S. I heard Mo bark, so I know he's been outside.

india flint said...

bon appetit!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

You and The Husband will laugh about this someday. Meanwhile... sleep standing up...

Anonymous said...

what an experience! out of our comfort zone is a real test and so far it sounds as though you and your husband really do have a good attitude to such a situation;)

brian eppley said...

I hope they at least "leave the light on for ya". The veg bullet sounds good.

r garriott said...

Have you ever thought about being a travel writer, Jala? Bad experiences seem to make the best stories. I loved reading your comic tale of woe... reminds me of a few trips I've been on.

loriann signori said...

Sure sounds like you are roughing it!I suggest you try the veg shaslik with a side of the palette signature and report back. And yes, one day you will laugh about it..until then look at cute kitty photos and giggle with them.

ArtPropelled said...

It's been great catching up and I've been reading about your trip with amusement/amazement. I'm envious despite the misfunctio/disfunctio. Loving the cat antics as usual and enjoying your white series.