Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Life drawing...and an unwelcome visitor

The really fast, warm-up sketches always seem to be my favorites.



-----

Can you guess what kind of incident we had here the other night? Yep. My reconstruction of the event is as follows: Miss Lemon was enjoying the night air out on our front deck; along came a little black-and-white creature, aka Pepe LePew; the two creatures were startled to see one another; Pepe did his thing; Mojito heard something and demanded to be let out to go save Miss Lemon; Pepe did his thing again. The worst thing is that it happened about two feet from our front door, with all our house windows open, and the deck is wood, and the house is wood, and all the skunk spray sank into the wood, to permeate it, though I hope not permanently. It is, as you might imagine, and as Larry David would put it: pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty bad.




Who knew the windowsill was such a good place to work on one's stretches?





More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

10 comments:

SamArtDog said...

This is where I get to stand up and take a bow for contributing that jug of Skunk Odor Remover. Nature's Miracle is a must-have in the pantry of any good dog mom. This is the first feline target I've ever heard of, but odds are it would happen over there at Jala's Cat House.

Casey Klahn said...

ooohhhh nooo. I hope he makes his home elsewhere, now.

I'd like to here an explanation for your technique on these drawings, too.

Jala Pfaff said...

Hi Sam - I think it works to some extent. Not completely. But even a little better, with skunk, is a lot better. Gracias.

Hi Casey - I hope so too. Technique on these? Ha, funny. Technique was get-something-down-on-paper-in-30-seconds.

loriann signori said...

Hi Jala!! Love your story! So that is where Pepe lePew lives!
You drawings have a wonderful sense of gesture!

suzanneberry said...

Great life quickies Jala! The quick warm ups were always my favorite, I didn't have time to think. Great work. And about Pepe...that sucks! I've never smelled a skunk, hope not to. Good luck. Great post!

Brian McGurgan said...

Lovely figure drawings, Jala! I had a pet house skunk for much of my high school and college years. She was de-scented but would put on a big show with her tail up and feet stomping if disturbed from her favorite spot on the couch, or if she smelled bacon cooking and didn't get any. What a wonderful pet - she slept with me, rode in the car with me, took walks together, you name it. She was fond of our dog but hated the cat - all cats, for that matter - and the feelings were mutual all around. Sounds like your cats got the wrong end of an ongoing and bitter inter-species feud... hope the smell comes out soon.

Anonymous said...

Too much to love in this here blog post, the skunk portion notwithstanding or notwithsmelling.
Rumi's stretches, when he isn't crossing paws is enough to slay ALL of us.
Sounds like a serious bit of chaos and stink in that 100+ degree temperature.
And to Brian- a pet skunk de-scented that slept with you. I must get one.
Love how the dogs came to Lemons' rescue and of course, Rumi heard nothing.

Jala Pfaff said...

Hi Loriann, thank you. I hope he doesn't actually live here (on my front deck), but rather was just visiting.

Suzanne - It's good to not think when doing art, methinks.
Now, about having NEVER SMELLED A SKUNK--frankly, I have never heard ANYONE say that before and didn't think it was possible. What planet do you live on??

Brian M - That is just tooooooo cute. Oh my god.

Hi Bonnie - Do you have skunks there in Eden? Rumi waves hello (as best he can with crossed paws). Mojito is amazingly protective of the cats, it's so sweet. Jazz is so mellow all the time he wouldn't blink if an axe murderer arrived at the door. Our Rumi lives in a very quiet world.

Brian McGurgan said...

Hi Jala - I posted some lousy pictures of my pet skunk on my blog, just for you! We're enjoying all the Rumi pictures!

ArtPropelled said...

Smiling at Rumi. Pity about the skunk though.