Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blue door


I generally reach for colors without any thought (ideally, I paint with no thoughts at all; that's when it turns out the best). It's so interesting to me to look back on a piece later and realize how often I've ended up with a tried-and-true color scheme. For example, these choices felt so arbitrary, yet so instinctive. Seeing it now, I'm surprised to find that it's basically just a good ol' primary-colors scheme.

I'd like to take this opportunity to quote fellow blogger-artist Brian Eppley; when I read this (below) on his blog recently, I was like, "Yes! That's it!" You see, though I truly enjoy painting realistically and watching the magic happen under the brush of 2-D turning into 3-D, nevertheless, my truest love is abstract and semi-abstract (or is that two loves?). Anyway, here's Brian: It's interesting. The more I attempt to focus on a particular subject the less interested I am in portraying [it] in its real state. But that's my whole intention!!! Art is crazy. Maybe I have an issue with focus. I continually want to tear down subjects to the bare essentials. My interest in archetypes could play a role. Representation and abstraction. A fine line indeed.




I don't know why, but those little curled-up paws when they're asleep just slay me.



Jazz hangin' out under the table. Jazz just turned 13, by the way, an amazingly venerable age for a big Golden. The biggest sweetheart you've ever met.




The Jaipur palace provided endless visual material.



More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

10 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Ooohh, Jazzy! Such a love! I've known him since he was a youngster and consider him to be one of "mine".

Anonymous said...

Your photos remind me of your abstractions and your abstracts look like your photo subjects.
You am what you am.
Now that Rumi guy is slaying ME too.
Jazzy is the embodiment of sweet and beanbag chair.

A call later today....planning.......planning.....

loriann signori said...

Jala,
I just browsed through many of your recent abstract paintings and the one thought that kept entering my head was "edges." For me, your best pieces follow the idea- less is more. Your yellow tripytch, untitled 11,untitled 45, eating in india (which I happily purchased), Uluru, and Cezanne in Taos are all good examples. You have a wonderful sensitivity to edge- color to color. Have you thought about exploring that? Just a thought, but YOU are the master!
L
word verification:wingessi

Karen Bruson said...

Jala,
How freeing it must be to paint without any thought. I overwork my paintings and it can be very frustrating.

Jala Pfaff said...

Hi Karen,
Hmmm....maybe it only works when doing abstracts?

Anonymous said...

It's weird, but my first glance at that color surrounding the blue door made me giggle. (And then there it was again in the photos from India, and even a touch on Rumi's belly.) I like how you've abstracted the essential elements here, and the interesting quote from Brian Eppley has caused me to put him on my long list of favorites so I can take more time to see his work. Thanks for that!

suzanneberry said...

I envy your freedom. You are an inspiration. I've wanted to paint free of an preconceived notion or plan and it's terrified me. Your work is illuminating that path for me. Just amazing work and photos and kitties!

Jala Pfaff said...

Loriann - Thank you again (as per our emails).

Donald - GIGGLED?! Heeeeeheeeeheee. You're the first person who's ever told me my work made them giggle! :D

Suzanne - If you like abstract art at all, and/or if you just want to try to get loose and PLAY with paint, I highly recommend it! As long as no one's watching, and the thing can be scraped off or tossed later, then nothing too scary will happen, I promise. And it can make you feel really good!

Jala Pfaff said...

Sam - Or you are part "his."

Hi Bonnie - Planning...scheming... Meanwhile, Rumi sends a curled-up paw waving in your direction.

Sandra Galda said...

oooh I like this pastel with its seeming hint at architecture...