Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sky 23 (pastel)


Pastel on PastelMat, approx. 9" x 7".

Art purchase inquiries: please email me: jala [at] jalapfaff [dot com].


It's been ages since I've done a pastel sky. I found a piece of PastelMat lying around and starting making marks with my always-favorite Unisons. Skies paint themselves on PastelMat. 


Below: I want to thank Loriann for a great idea on cleaning pastels: a window screen and a hand vac do a great job, safely. I went to the hardware store and got a piece of flexible, soft window screen material. (Before I got the window screen, I admit I did try using a vacuum cleaner but accidentally sucked up a couple of half-sticks of pastel.) Cleaning the excess dust off a box of pastels now couldn't be simpler.

-----

You know what I'm about to say, don't you? Yeah, "someone let the cat...

...out of the bag." 

Yep. There was just nothing else to say about that.

Rumi update: Went to the vet today and we've decided that if possible, we'll try a food trial. My vet spoke to a cat internist who thinks Rumi may have somehow developed a food allergy. It will be the last thing to try before turning to steroids. The catch is that because we have six cats, all of them will have to be willing to eat the special food (because food is always available to all the cats) for eight weeks. I got a sample of the special dry food from the vet and will try it on each cat individually first. 
I have a feeling Miss Lemon is going to be the one that refuses it. She is the pickiest one and also the only one who won't ever even try wet food, not even the occasional canned tuna treat.
-----

In Bihar, India.


[Edited to add: Ha, I just realized it looks like this guy is selling condoms. No, it's actually some kind of Indian snack packet. It's fun to see junk food in other cultures, isn't it? My favorite snack food there is fried lentils. Yum. 


And when I lived in Japan many years ago, snack food was utterly mystifying and often (I'm a vegetarian) disgusting. Like little dried whole fishes with eyeballs and all.]


More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

3 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

Ooh - clouds! This is great, Jala. I hope you do more of these, maybe tag teaming with your new oil abstracts.

Sorry to hear about Rumi's continued weight issues; a food allergy does sound possible. Have you tried Natural Balance? That's what we feed Nelson now. It has minimal ingredients - both wet and dry.

Jala Pfaff said...

Hi Sonya,
The allergy diet has to be either a novel protein source, or else hydrolyzed proteins. NB doesn't have any protein source that my cats haven't already had at some point. Our choices now are expensive, weird stuff like ostrich or possum. Or we can go with the hydrolized protein Science Diet stuff, but that's got grain as the first ingredient--I don't like them ever having grain. Not sure yet what to do.

loriann signori said...

Hi Jala,
I am sorry to hear Rumi still is struggling. I hope that you are well. I found your recent oils, with their edges and pieces to seem Hoffman inspired. What is your inspiration?
PS Thanks for the mention, I really appreciate it.