Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Untitled 220


Pastel on UArt, approx. 6" x 6".

Art purchase inquiries: please email me: jala [at] jalapfaff [dot com].

This is a pastel from a month or so ago. 

I've been in the studio a lot lately, working on a couple of Diebenkorn-esque "Ocean Park"-style pieces. They're on the biggest canvases I've ever worked on: 3' x 4'.  (Although that's not even close to Diebenkorn sizes.) I love working on the bigger canvases, it turns out. I hope to work even larger than 3' x 4' someday. 
It's funny, after I've spent a few hours working on one of the 3' x 4' ones, when I look around at the studio, the 30" x 40" recent paintings suddenly look very small to me!

-----

Mr. Fennec, the poster child for sleeping well and getting your full 18 hours.

-----

Handmade in India.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

3 comments:

Shelley Smart said...

Here in So. California, there is currently a Diebenkorn exhibit in Newport Beach at the Orange County Art Museum. I live two hours' drive away but I hope to get to see it before it leaves. My daughter went last weekend and said it was fabulous. I look forward to seeing your interpretation of his work. 3'x4' is huge in my world!

I would love to prove I'm not a robot but I can't even read some of those "words"!

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I like your painting and am itching to work larger than I am now. Thanks for the push in that direction.

loriann signori said...

nice warm colors jala. can't wait to see the biggies. i found that i love to work big...whole different animal.it sure changes perspective on size after the large format days!
ps how are you?