Friday, October 23, 2009

Sonja's dawn

I know a woman, Sonja W., who was born far more fearless and with far greater fortitude than I. She's a scientist who does things like choose to spend the entire winter in Greenland collecting snow samples, living in a small underground bunker that has to be shoveled out every day. This is her idea of a fun job.

So, this is "Sonja's dawn." (It's hard already to photograph pastels, but photographing really subtle ones...that's something I think I'd need to get a master's degree in.)




Happy happy sunny day. Blissed-out kitten.



More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

7 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Sonja's bunker: Fascinating, atmospheric, suffocating, isolation - although I'm sure she sees it as freedom. Great work Jala.

Cathyann said...

I liked the story behind the conception here. the sublety can be seen in the thumbnail. It is like you are standing far away enough to discern the shift in light. Way cool. Don't know how to fix your pastel photo problem. I am totally frustrated with the differences between the real thing and the digital sometimes.

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE THIS PIECE!

Jala Pfaff said...

Thank you, O my friends of minimalism! :)

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

My middle name is minimalism. ;-)

Jala Pfaff said...

Tina, that's one reason I love your work so much!

Brian McGurgan said...

Wow, I love this one Jala! What a beautful glow, expressed perfectly with neither too little or too much. I want to be a friend of minimalism, too!!!