Friday, January 16, 2009

The end of Titanium White


A lot of Daily Painters have done this subject matter, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. It was fun, but also frustrating at times. The folds in the metal tube are like painting very stiff fabric pleats--interesting, subtle, sometimes hard to pull off. In any case, it was an interesting experiment. I may try another one sometime, but on linen; I keep forgetting how annoying I lately find it to paint on a slick panel. There was a period when I really loved it, but at the moment I prefer linen. I'm sure my tastes may change yet again at some point; that's part of what keeps it all interesting.

More art on my website: jalapfaff.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Subjects like these take lots of focus and hand coordination. Tough to do but well done.

I'm with you on the linen, I've found the same thing with panels- they're too slick and the surface doesn't have the bounce that stretched linen has.

Jala Pfaff said...

Thank you, Bonnie.

About the slick panels: I did actually just discover that knife painting is good on the slick. So I now have something to do with all those little panels...